Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas is a time to remember

I was on uTube this morning trying to find a segment of a little girl asking santa for her daddy back from Iraq and suddenly her daddy coming around the corner, for my mother who hasnt seen it yet and I was overcome by all the homecoming videos of daddys surprising their kids at school. It was very touching so I just let them play while I was drinking my coffee. Suddenly there was a video that played that just broke my heart. It is a tribute to the daddys but this time the daddys didnt come home like all the others and there is this little girl in the background talking just like she is talking to her daddy. I will warn you it is very emotional and if you do watch it bring your klenexs because you will need them. But in this holiday season I tend to forget about those kids that have gone through that. And I really shouldnt due to the fact that I personally know a family whos daddy didnt come back. It was Reggies first deployment and it was on Christmas Eve for us. I got a call from my FRG leader telling me that there had been some casualties in HHC and to stay by the phone. I was in shock. I was so scared, as all my family was getting dressed for Christmas Eve mass I was pacing back and forth praying it was not Reggie. An hour went by and I wasnt sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing so I called a friend of mine whos husband was in HHC also. I asked her if she knew who these soldiers were and she said yes.... that it wasnt Reggie.....it was her husband. Suddenly i think in the shock I couldnt remember what casualty ment, it was just an injury right? and if she was reading my mind she said, "Ben is dead." My heart just broke for her, she had an 7 or 8 year old son and she was the nicest person I had ever met, why this, why her? I couldnt stop crying that whole day, needless to say i didnt go to church, i was too mad at god. I was crying for their family and i was crying for the relief it wasnt Reggie. It was Christmas Eve for us but Christmas Day for them. My heart breaks even now. Reggie was truely affected by this. I remember him calling that night and crying and all I wanted to do was hold him. I was told because I didnt watch the video that Reggie made an awesome speech at Bens funerial over in Iraq. I just couldnt see him like that so I said no when they asked me if I wanted to watch. I know it has been 5 years since that happend but this tribute to these soldiers brought it back like it was yesterday. So I will keep these children in my prayers as the holidays come.

Here is the website
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBXyHbW4ig

1 comment:

Heather E said...

Oh boy did that make me cry! Good point that we can forget about the families of the fallen soldiers.